The US military is completing its withdrawal from AfghanistanJuly 6, 2021
The U.S. military says it has completed more than 90 percent of its withdrawal from Afghanistan, which began in May, almost 20 years after NATO launched its military intervention in response to the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
“The withdrawal process continues. “Central Command estimates that we have completed more than 90 percent of the complete withdrawal process,” the U.S. military said in a statement.
US President Joe Biden announced in April that he wanted to end the troop withdrawal before 9/11, the 20th anniversary of the US attacks.
The White House said on Friday that the last US troops would leave Afghanistan before that date, “by the end of August”.
US forces have already officially handed over control of seven former US bases to Afghan forces and returned equipment on a scale equal to the payload of 984 C-17 aircraft.
US and NATO forces last week left Bagram Air Base, Afghanistan’s largest, 50km from Kabul, and have been the center of operations since the start of the military operation.
Afghan authorities today deployed hundreds of troops and pro-government militias to counter a major Taliban offensive in the north of the country. As a result of the offensive, thousands of Afghan troops had to take refuge in Tajikistan yesterday.